Saturday, February 12, 2011

Curiosties of the Civil War, review




I requested this book, Curiosities of the Civil War, by Web Garrison, to review from BookSneeze because my father has been involved in civil war reenactments and I will be sure to share it with him. First off, this book is a beautiful hardback "150th anniversary of the Civil War" edition. I appreciate how the author has broken down the summaries of facts into chapters. The layout is easy to follow, without enough spaces in between individual factual stories. Secondly, if you are not even interested in this subject....give this book a try. I have found so many intriguing stories. Some I've laughed out loud at and others are just ...strange or unbelievable at times. Honestly, I do wish I knew more about the Civil War to compare to what is written in this book. Lastly, you will come away with more knowledge of the civil war than most people. Who knows, it may prepare you for something in the future that requires such trivia.


I enjoyed learning more about the women in disguise who fought alongside the men, the oddest animals (a camel!) that had their own part in the war at the time, and learning of more than one less deserving officer in service. It was also touching to learn of one side returning the body of a certain officer several times to its rightful "side" after their enemy forgot to retrieve it, several times. Interesting, enlightening, entertaining...this book has it all!


Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze®.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255 : "Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ok..CWChaplain here...sounds like an enjoyable and informative read...Hardback as well...Thanks for putting me on to this...