Sunday, May 1, 2011

Mine is the Night, review


Mine Is The Night, by Liz Curtis Higgs



I've always enjoyed reading historical fiction, with a little bit of romance, and a unique alliteration to the Bible, especially the story of Ruth? GENIUS! I absolutely loved this book. It is on my shelf of favorites! I loved every detail, every piece, every character. Higgs has a gift of bringing history to life, and teaching us not only through her own words but bringing us along our own spiritual journey as well.

The main character, Elizabeth Kerr, whose name reminded me of a classic hollywood star, ended up in a situation no woman would envy- widowed, a name almost all destroyed, with barely anything of comfort of her own. However, her desire to maintain her relationship with her mother in law, Marjory, allowed her to gain so much more than she every imagained. A true love. A true, deeper faith. Higgs intrigued me with her pen-style, and how she blended details and facts of the story of Ruth into her own work. It had details I didn't expect and I appreciate that from any author.

I have to admit, I hadn't appreciated the novel that preceeded this one. But this was such an appropriate sequal to Here Burns My Candle, and I recommend it to anyone who wishes to read a well crafted story. I received this book free from Waterbrook Press, publishing company, for this review, and I am not required to write a positive review.

No comments: