Thursday, July 21, 2011

thanks to Last of the Mohicans...


i was able to go canoeing with my family. i used to canoe and be very comfortable. I even went white water rafting a couple times for Pete's sakes. But comfortable now, not so much. something about water, large amounts of it, bothers me. but, towards the end of our Guilford Lake family get together, i hastily decided to go canoeing with my boys- my husband, Will David, and Philip. i quickly decided to pretend i was someone else to enjoy the journey.

that's where Last of the Mohicans comes in. my favorite movie. EVER.

because i'm a romantic, a lover of dramatic love stories, a girl who often thinks she was born in the wrong century...this movie is my favorite. and Cora, one of the most remarkable heroines i've ever encountered. so i pretended to be her.

no one really knew that i was her when we set off at first. or went past the first little island. and around the next. and further out into the middle of deep, dark, murky, cold, waters....but i was. something about the ability we have to be creative and imagine is truly amazing...what a gift God gave us. the ability to think and create, even while we know reality for what it is.

but in the picture above, i was definitely NOT Cora, but the mom who, at the end of our canoe trip, felt confident after all in a boat called a canoe, with my strong men behind me.

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I just have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this post! Yay Amy!! :)

Anonymous said...

Yah Cora...keeping Chimney Rock Alive!!!
LTTS...