Monday, September 26, 2011

Deeply Devoted...a review

Instead of choosing the young lady his mother has picked for him, Peter Andersen sends to Amsterdam for a mail-order bride in this new series by Brendan (“Heart of the West” series). Catharine Olsen arrives in Cheyenne, WY, with her mother’s china and her two sisters in tow. Peter is patient not only with Catharine but with her sisters. However, as the two begin their life together on the wheat farm, Peter’s mother will go to any length to see her son’s marriage destroyed. VERDICT This novel should appeal to fans of Lori Wick who enjoy a gentle romance with a Western twist as well as those who like reading about cultural clashes.
-- LibraryJournal.com

I saw the above description/write-up just before posting this blog post- and I had to include it because I have always enjoyed the books by Lori Wick. I think I heard somewhere that Lori Wick retired, which distressed me greatly, as I have always been a fan. I can see why they include Maggie Brendan along with her name- this book was excellent in every way. I have read many, MANY western romances, and this one, even with such as a common plot of a mail-order bride, was unique, nonetheless. The sub-plots were so creative. I commend Brendan for such a careful, sweet story. I saw myself, at times, as a wife, and my insecurities and inconsistencies. I saw my husband as well, as a man like Peter, who strives to love with the devotion the title speaks of. Such a well-crafted novel- PERFECTLY portraying the IMPERFECTIONS we have as beings who struggle with life, and PERFECTLY portraying the PERFECT peace and love we can have as daughters and sons of HIM!

I received a copy of this book from Revell in order to provide a review. This is of my own words, and I was not required to write a positive review.

1 comment:

Burlap Luxe said...

I too am deeply devoted :)

I was visiting your sister in law and the news of a baby boy is grand!

I adore Lisa, I was the one who created her Sanctuary sign for her and was missing all her postings of late.

Congrats to you as well, your going to be Auntie again :)
Nice to have been able to visit you and all the love you show.

God Bless
Blessings.
~Dore