Monday, November 14, 2011

The Redemption of A Tea Spoon

Some time ago, my Grandma Duvall passed away. She was a vibrant, generous, extremely giving and humble, devoted to the Lord kind of lady.

My mom is like her. And I'm like my mom. So, that said, I hope I have some of these positive qualities some day.

My grandmother loved knick-knacks. Paper clippings from magazines and newspapers. Loving people who didn't have people to love them. Helping those who most often go unnoticed.

She was full of unselfishness.

This world lost a rare gem, but gained even more insight upon her character and God's, as well.

Shortly after her death, my Grandpa Duvall passed away. I struggle with feelings towards him and his family, but I do love him, and hold respect for how much he loved the Lord.

He was extremely devoted to the Word, and prayer. He was gifted with wood making. Had a shop for years, into his 90's in fact.

He made me a dollhouse which I still have. I do remember some soft smiles and strong, hefty hugs. And the way he could spout off a long poem- most remarkable!

But, after his death, somethings went on that were directly hurtful to my mother and her siblings, and myself as well.

I will only say this- we were given a great example of the worth of material, worldly possessions.

We were not given the chance to correctly and thoughtfully see if there were any items of my Grandmother's that we wished to keep.

Those knick knacks that I so lovingly dusted off for my grandmother when I visited? Gone.

Her paper clippings, different momentos....not for me to cherish.

My mother had been blessed with the opportunity to put together a book soon after her mother's death of poems my grandmother had loved. THAT we have.

My grandmother gave me a couple tea cup sets the Christmas before Ella was born...THOSE I have.

I suppose I should feel that is enough.

I should. But I don't. I wish I had been given the chance to really love her presence in that house again, but now that house my grandfather had built is condemned due to other peoples' living there.

It makes my heart ache.

There was a garage sale after my grandfather's death but I did not, could not, attend. It hurt too much. We weren't in charge of it. My brother went, and got some things. He and my mom talked later, and it was like he was able to "redeem" some of the things of my grandmother's. I wish I had been able to go there, to see what I could've purchased from family of my grandmother's. Well.....it just didn't seem right.

Anyways, I have sadness, but not bitterness towards anyone over this, and I am sharing because I hope that even when things like this happens, we don't lose focus on what really is important.

Last week, I was given an unexpected blessing...

My mother in law is an avid garage saler. She went to the garage sale after my grandpa's death. She got some things, and I was glad for her.

Now, several years later, she has given to me one of those items...a beautiful silver spoon, a "tea" spoon.

To say how much this simple gift touched me is something I cannot do...I have not enough words, I can't find the words.

You see, I have a beautiful spoon my grandmother held in her hand.

Carried. Used. Washed in her special way. Dried in her special way with one of her special towels.

And lovingly placed in a drawer, or left on the counter, or placed elsewhere. You never know about my grandmother. :)

This gift was precious....it was a little bit of my grandma's life breathed back into my own heart, a little part of the mess redeemed.

Today, I struggle to write this because I knew tears would follow. I think upon this simple gift, simple act, and think of the greatest gift of all, and the redemption God gave us through his Son on the cross.

When I survey the wondrous cross
On which the Prince of Glory died
My richest gain I count but loss
And pour contempt on all my pride

See from his head, his hands, his feet
Sorrow and love flow mingled down
Did ever such love and sorrow meet
Or thorns compose so rich a crown

O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
Bids me come and die and find that I may truly live
O the wonderful cross, O the wonderful cross
All who gather here by grace draw near and bless
Your name

Were the whole realm of nature mine
That were an offering far too small
Love so amazing, so divine
Demands my soul, my life, my all

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Redemption is costly...either with the tangible or intangible...but the rewards of redemption are priceless. Wonderful, God-given words you have written.
PC