Sunday, December 18, 2011

A Wedding Invitation by Alice J. Wisler

After returning home from teaching English at a refugee camp in the Philippines, Samantha Bravencourt enjoys her quiet life working at her mother's clothing boutique in Falls Church, Virginia. When she receives an invitation to a wedding in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, she looks forward to reconnecting with her college friend. Instead her life collides with Carson, a fellow teacher and the man who broke her heart, and a young Amerasian refugee named Lien, who needs Samantha and Carson's help to find her mother before Lien's own wedding. When the search for Lien's mother reveals surprising secrets from the past, Samantha must reevaluate her own memories and decide whether to continue to play it safe or take a risk that could change her life.


As someone who mostly reads historical romances, this was a good change for me. A daring one, but positive one. I have never read a book by this author before. I am now curious to see what her other novels are like. I felt this one was a delightfully fresh read!

What I especially liked- an endearing story line. I LOVED the quip on the back cover. It pulled me in, made me think, made me wonder, made me hope. I worked as an intern for World Relief, helping to resettle refugees in Nashville, and the plot interested me fully. The humanity aspect in the story drew me in completely.

I was expecting something different than what I was given to read, but found it very pleasant nonetheless! Someone who enjoys contemporary fiction would find this book heavenly!

I received a complimentary copy of this book for my review. Thank you to Bethany House!

No comments: