Saturday, October 13, 2012

Pippi Longstocking via Language Arts

As I planned this year out for language arts, I took the eclectic route....AGAIN.   Amidst a mental pile...er...list...were the guides from Total Language Plus.  I chose TWO for Ella this year, since I am also using materials from Veritas Press, Christian Novel Press, and Blackbird Press & Company. First up, Pippi!   After the first of the year, we will pick up again with Shiloh.

Pros:

*thorough grammar, touching on everything it seems. I appreciate the preposition study, especially.
*extra "fun" activities. We didn't do many of these, but I'm tucking them in my memory for a rainy day, maybe for review.
*mostly oral comprehension questions.  Because there is SO MUCH to do, I thought this gave Ella a break from writing too much. One or two questions were written down in a notebook I required for her, however.
*unique to take a book and extract so much learning from it....very comprehensive

Cons:

*slightly daunting to think of reading the same book for more than a month. whew!   that is why we skipped the last week/review.
*a lot of vocab, imo.   a LOT.
*for a fast reader, this type of study may not be the best. my Ella is a fast reader, so I had to find other books for her to read, of course, other than this and whatever else we were working on for history, etc.
*worth repeating- a week per couple chapters is A LOT to do.  I do wish the guide was only 4 weeks long, instead of 6 or 7.

Final word:

*We will be doing another study despite how long I think they are.

*Ella learned a lot, and I love the layout. I think it is a good thing to include in her LA this year.

*Worth the investment!!!!  I'd give it 4.5 stars out of 5. :)

No comments: