Friday, November 2, 2012

A Promise to Love- a review

Ingrid Larsen, a young Swedish immigrant, arrives in Michigan in 1871 to search for her brother who has disappeared into the woods to work the dangerous lumber camps. Destitute and barely hanging on to hope, she encounters a newly-widowed farmer who is struggling to raise five children on his own. Marriage would solve both of their problems, and so Ingrid proposes to a man she barely knows. She will fight to protect her new family--but the hardest battle of all will be winning the heart of her new husband.Readers who loved The Measure of Katie Calloway will be pleased to find more 
of Miller's emotive and descriptive writing here--and to discover that love is more than words.

This particular novel struck at my heart.  I cried.  I laughed. I cried a bit more, for I felt so much emotion as a reader.  
Ingrid tugged my heart strings.  She was given a tough life, and even marriage to the widowed farmer wasn't all rainbows. Certainly not.  But seeing this heroine come through so much encouraged my own heart. She was a true example to her new children and especially to her new husband.  And also to neighbors. She had so much strength of heart, mind, and soul. 

But the storyline that haunted me was that of the widow's wife who died.  It made me incredibly sorrowful. It is something common, that sort of melancholy, and having experienced a bit of that myself after the birth of my children, I could not imagine how, without medical expertise, someone "back in the day" could cope.   

My heart's heaviness was lifted as the story progressed, and the couple who had said their vows to one another own heaviness in life diminished as well.  

Be prepared for a cry or two...A Promise to Love will speak of life's hardships and of its success and dreams.

A Promise to Love

1 comment:

Sam said...

My Mom was really into these kind of books when I was growing up... I think her favorite was Janette Oak. (I could be way off on that name.) Even though I was an intense reader, I never liked those kind of books which could easily be written off as me being male. Then my Mom introduced me to a series that was set in Ireland during the Potato Famine. I fell in love with it immediately. With my fascination of the so-called, American Wilderness, this book is admittedly intrigued me. Not sure I'll ever get around to reading it, but it has me thinking. Thanks for the review.