Sunday, November 18, 2012

The Christmas Pony, a review


With Christmas around the corner, the Turnbull family is in need of a few small miracles.
It is 1937, and Lucy Turnbull knows better than to wish for a pony this Christmas. Her mother has assured her in no uncertain terms that asking for a pony is the same as asking for the moon. Besides, the only extra mouths they need at their boarding house are the paying kind. Then an interesting pair of strangers comes to town, and Lucy's world changes forever. 


 A little girl who will pull at your heart....

A wish that will remind you of your own childhood...

A magical time of year....

A bit of hardship and joy rolled into one....

Melody Carlson's delightful novella, The Christmas Pony, has been spun with skill and art. I've enjoyed this small story and it has made a large impression upon me-  who knew a novella could be filled with such depth.  I enjoyed not only Lucy's story, but her Mama's as well.   One of my favorite scenes shows the kindness their recent boarder, George, has for Lucy, as they depart to find a tree. Lucy truly loves her mother, and how she is free to share that with those around her is touching.   She desires her Mama's smile to come back over a pony.  Touched my heart....as did many other parts of this book.  I will treasure this novella, and one day share it with my daughter, who is an avid reader and owner of her own horse. I'm sure she'll delight in the "magic" of this book even more than I!

Thank you to Baker Publishing for a complimentary copy of this book, in return for an original review!


No comments: